Make a Difference
JOIN THE TRIBE - DONATE
There is a reason why 2.3 billion people don't have access to clean drinking water. They can't afford it.
It's a painful reality, but billions of people don't have access to clean water because they cannot afford the resources necessary to have it. Filters, wells, purifiers, and community water storage systems - cost money.
Why your help is so important
Despite its ranking as one of the most water-rich countries in the world, Nepal is near the bottom of the list for water quality. Here are just a few sobering statistics:
- Of the 29 million people in Nepal, 23 million do not have access to clean water. Less than 20%.
- In the population-dense Kathmandu Valley, 75 tons of wastewater is dumped in local rivers.
- Only 27% of the population has access to sustainable sanitation systems.
- Common waterborne illnesses include typhoid, Hepatitis, cholera, gastroenteritis, and dysentery.
And the most shocking statistic:
Every year, an estimated 10,000 children under the age of five die as a result of water and sanitation-related illnesses.
An average of 30 young children die every day in Nepal.
With help from our local fixers on the ground, we have identified communities eagerly awaiting our return with more SE200 Chlorine Makers. With your help, we know we can achieve our lofty goals. On each trip our minimum objectives include:
- Placing a minimum of ten MSR SE200 Chorine Makers in remote villages and schools.
- Place an additional ten units with various schools for placement in subsiquent weeks after we leave with help from our volunteers.
- Total impact, and number of people given access to safe water: 2,700*
*We try not to fall into the trap of making our project number-driven. We want to help as many people as possible, but our goal is to help communities, not spreadsheet numbers. Whereas many NGOs have minimum requirements for assistance, we place SE200 units where they make the most significant impact on health and wellness.
How Your Money Helps
There are a number of costs associated with our efforts. Getting the water purification systems to villages on the other side of the world the most expensive. Fortunately, our team of self-funded travelers assume those cost themselves. But we still have to purchase other necessary items:
- MSR SE200 Community Chlorine Makers $250
- Extra supplies like buckets, hoses, and small containers.
- Community water tanks to help centralize water delivery and storage systems.
- Basic transportation costs for our volunteers to access schools and villages for followup inspections and assistance.
- Outreach efforts to help inform people in rural communities about clean water and sanitation.
Our pledge: It is a great responsibility to ensure your generosity creates the most meaningful impact. No penny is squandered. Every dollar goes directly to the end goal of providing safe water to those who need it.
(Donations made to The Clean Drink Fund via the MSR Impact Project donation page are tax deductible under 501(c)3 guidelines. Cheritable contributions are dispursed under the guidance of the Clean Drink board of directors for maximum impact and transperencey. Your money matters. Your help makes a difference.)
Direct Donations: The Clean Drink Fund, 1708 Claire Street, Prescott, Arizona 86301